Control of the oily sheen
Tired of shine and smoothness during the day? Make some changes to your skincare routine to control oil production from morning to night.
- Put together a "matte kit" that fits comfortably in your purse or backpack so you can freshen it up during the day. Your kit should include oil-free lotions or sunscreens with microsponges that absorb excess oil. It may also include wipes enriched with salicylic acid (not alcohol!) to degrease skin, prevent breakout bacteria, and keep skin fresh.
- Use a clay-based cleanser to get rid of oil on the surface.
- Apply a moisturizer after cleansing, even if you don't think your skin needs it. Oily skin can suffer from dehydration (i.e. lack of water) while being greasy.
- Apply a clay-based mask once or twice a week to control sebaceous gland secretion and cleanse pores.
- Exfoliation can help control oil production, improve skin texture and prevent clogged pores that lead to breakouts. It also prepares the skin for optimal treatment with oil-regulating ingredients. Your professional skin therapist may prescribe a physical or chemical peel to improve skin health.